381 Scholar Athletes to be Honored Tonight
Jan. 19, 2012
During halftime of tonight’s men’s basketball game against Boston College, NC State’s scholar athletes will be recognized. These scholar athletes earned a term grade point average of 3.0 or higher in either the Spring 2011 or Fall 2011 semester.
This year, NC State is applauding these 381 scholar athletes for their ability to balance playbooks and textbooks. Among these student athletes are 128 scholar athletes who earned a total GPA of 3.0 or higher in BOTH terms, 186 Dean’s List Recipients and four ACC post graduate nominees. NC State has the honor of leading the ACC in ACC Postgraduate Scholarship winners with a total of 57 winners over the last 30 years.
Also being recognized will be NC State’s Top Ten Scholar Athletes. In order for a student athlete to be honored as one of our “Top Ten” they must been enrolled at NC State for at least 5 semesters and have one of the ten highest Total GPA’s among all the student athletes. This year’s top ten scholar athletes are:
• Robert Baker from the Cheerleading squad, majoring in Microbiology with a 4.0 GPA
• Bryan Cross, from the Rifle team, majoring in Criminology with a 3.893 GPA
• Akash Gujarati, from the Men’s Tennis team, majoring in Electrical Engineering with a 4.0 GPA
• Brian Himelright from the Cross Country Team, majoring in Technology, Engineering and Design Education with a 4.0 GPA
• Allison Hofmann, from the Women’s Track & Cross Country team, majoring in Nutrition Science with a 3.909 GPA
• Linzy Martinelli, from the Cheerleading squad, majoring in Elementary Education with a 4.0 GPA
• Cora Shull, from the Cross Country Team, majoring in Math Education with a 4.0 GPA
• Zane Tharakan, from the Men’s Soccer team, majoring in Business Management with a 4.0 GPA
Also members of the honored Top Ten are two members of the Women’s Basketball team who are unable to attend tonight as they are competing at Clemson this evening. They are:
• Kim Durham double majoring in Business Management and Arts Applications with a 3.975 GPA and
• Marissa Kastanek majoring in Psychology with a 4.0 GPA