Pack Points of Pride
• NC State was the first ACC institution to integrate athletics (1956).
• From 2010 to 2012, NC State’s athletic program jumped 52 spots in the Director’s Cup, from 89 to 57. It was the largest two-year improvement by an ACC school in the history of the Director’s Cup (NC State got as high as 34 in 2013).
• NC State boasts the highest number of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship awards among all ACC Universities.
• NC State was one of just four schools nationally to have at least one player selected in the NBA, MLB, NFL, WNBA and MLS drafts (joining UConn, Stanford and Louisville) in 2014. The Wolfpack had first round picks in the NBA, MLB and WNBA Drafts.
• NC State athletes and coaches are well represented in the National Halls of Fame for many sports:
- Seven members of the College Football Hall of Fame (players Jack McDowall, Roman Gabriel, John Richter, Jim Donnan and Dennis Byrd and coaches Buck Shaw and Lou Holtz).
- Three Naismith Memorial Hall of Famers (David Thompson, Everett Case, Kay Yow)
- One US Soccer Hall of Famer (Tab Ramos)
- One member of the ITA Collegiate Tennis Hall of Fame (John Sadri)
- One member of the College Golf Coaches Hall of Fame (Richard Sykes)
• NC State has experienced a resurgence in basketball under Mark Gottfried, as in each of his three years he has guided the Wolfpack to the NCAA Tournament. Only 6.5 pct of the NCAA’s 351 Division I programs have reached each of the past three NCAA Tournaments.
• NC State was on a short list of programs to have both its men’s and women’s basketball programs advance to the NCAA Tournament in 2013-14. Only 7.1 percent of the NCAA’s 351 Division I programs reached the NCAA Tournament in both men’s and women’s basketball.
•NC State is one of the nation’s preeminent research institutions, attracting top faculty and students from around the world and globally recognized for creating economic, societal and intellectual prosperity.
• With nearly 35,000 students, NC State educates more North Carolinians than any other university.
• NC State and its alumni provide $7.3 billion in annual economic impact for the state.
• U.S. News & World Report ranks NC State as one of the top five public university values in the country, and as a top-20 “up-and-comer,” recognizing its rising national profile. The Princeton Review and Washington Monthly also rate NC State among the top 5 best public university values.
• NC State provides students the top return on investment among N.C. public universities according to PayScale.com. PayScale also ranks NC State first among N.C. public universities in average graduate mid-career salary.
• NC State’s Centennial Campus is the premier university research campus in the country, where industry and government partners work alongside faculty, staff and students in state-of-the-art facilities.
• NC State is home to Hunt Library, a world-class research library with more than one million volumes managed by a robotic book retrieval system. The library includes a computer gaming lab, visualization lab, ultra-HD media production facilities and more than 100 technology-rich collaborative spaces.
• NC State’s College of Textiles produces more than half of the textile graduates in the country each year. Its College of Veterinary Medicine is ranked third in the nation and its College of Engineering is the fourth largest engineering undergraduate program in the U.S.
NC State University Points of Pride