March 19, 2012
RALEIGH, N.C. - NC State takes its six-game win streak on the road this week as the Pack travels to Greenville, N.C. for a midweek game against East Carolina Tuesday at 6 p.m.
The Wolfpack (15-3, 5-1 ACC) will start Ryan Wilkins (1-1, 7.20 ERA). Wilkins sports 13 strikeouts versus two walks over four appearances this year. ECU (14-4, 0-0 CUSA) will throw right-hander Jeff Hoffman (0-0, 0.00 ERA). Hoffman has given up three hits in 8 2/3 innings spread over five relief appearances this season.
NC State climbed in every major poll following its sweep of No. 24 Wake Forest last weekend. The Wolfpack rose to 11th in the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper, 20th in the USA Today/ESPN Coaches’ Poll, and 20th on Baseball America. State also landed at 18th in the Perfect Game Top 50 and 26th according to NCBWA.
Once again, the Pack figured prominently in the national and ACC statistical rankings released Monday:
• 21st in batting average (.315), second in ACC
• Sixth in runs per game (8.4)
• Seventh in doubles per game (2.67)
• 10th in stolen bases per game (2.11)
• 17th in ERA (2.65), second in ACC
• 11th in strikeouts per game (8.8)
• Third in hits allowed per game (6.46)
• Fifth in double plays per game (1.28)
• 10th in winning percentage (.833)
• Chris Diaz represents one of only two ACC batters hitting over .400. His average (.408) sits second, and his 31 hits tie him for the conference lead.
• Trea Turner leads the ACC stolen bases list by 11, good for a share of the national lead in both steals (19) and steals per game (1.28).
• Carlos Rodon ranks tied for 38th in ERA (1.29), ninth among freshmen and third in the ACC. His four wins place him tied for 12th in the country, tied for second among freshmen. He’s tied for 15th in strikeouts (40), second among freshmen trailing on Andrew Vasquez of UC Santa Barbara by one.
• Logan Jernigan hangs on to his national lead in hits per nine innings (2.25), and comes in 25th in strikeouts per game (11.25), fourth among freshmen.
• Ethan Ogburn ranks 31st in hits per nine (5.32).
• Jernigan and Ogburn rank first and second, respectively, on the ACC’s opponent batting average list (.076 and .171).
Radio coverage for Tuesday’s game will be provided by 88.1 WKNC, fans can follow Twitter updates from @NCStateBaseball, and live stats will be available at GoPack.com.