March 15, 2014
The Last Meeting
January 18, 2014
State Falls at No. 23 Duke
Despite a 23-point, eight-rebound effort from T.J. Warren, NC State basketball fell to Duke, 95-60 at Cameron Indoor Stadium on Saturday afternoon
Wolfpack Back In ACC Tourney Semifinal
For the third time in as many years under Mark Gottfried, NC State will play in the ACC Tournament's semifinal round. The No. 7 seed Wolfpack will take on No. 3 seed Duke Saturday, March 15 at 3:30 p.m.
ACC Tournament Semifinal Quick Hits
- NC State owns a 69-50 all-time record in the ACC Tournament. That includes a 4-5 all-time mark as the tourney's No. 7 seed.
- NCSU is 17-14 all-time in ACC tourney semifinal games. Its last semifinal win came in a 72-64 win over Virginia Tech in 2007.
- The Wolfpack has a 23-21 all-time record in ACC Tournament games played in Greensboro. NC State won the tourney in Greensboro in 1973 and 1974. More recently, the Pack has played in the final game in Greensboro in 1997 and 2003.
- The Pack has advanced to the semifinals of the ACC Tournament in each of Mark Gottfried's first three seasons in Raleigh. NC State is 6-2 in league tourney play under Gottfried. He is one of just four ACC coaches all-time to lead his team to the tourney semifinal in each of his first three seasons.
- NC State owns 10 ACC Tournament crowns. NC State's last ACC tourney title came in 1987 when the Pack was led by tourney MVP Vinny Del Negro.
The First Four - The Top 4 Storylines For This Game
1. ON TO THE SEMIFINAL
Mark Gottfried has coached NC State at the ACC Men's Basketball Championship three times. Each time, the Pack has won two games and advanced to the semifinal round. Gottfried is now the fourth coach in ACC history to coach his team to the tourney semifinal in each of his first three seasons. Additionally, NC State is now the sixth team since 1993 to reach three straight tourney semifinals: North Carolina (2011-13), Duke (2010-12), Maryland (1999-02), Wake Forest (1995-97), Virginia (1993-95).
2. PACK vs. DUKE
Saturday's game will be the 239th meeting between Duke and NC State, and the two schools have met previously 23 times during conference tournament play. As the ACC has transformed in membership over the years, so too have traditional rivalries. NC State and Duke played each other twice each year from the 1923-24 season until 2005-06. In a series dating back to 1911, this season marks just the seventh time the two schools meet just once in the regular season.
3. PLAYER OF THE YEAR
T.J. Warren, the ACC's leading scorer with 24.9 points per game, was voted the league's player of the year by the ACC's head coaches and the media. The 6-8 sophomore is the top scorer among all players in the Power 5 conferences. By scoring 28 points vs. Syracuse, he tied Rodney Monroe's school record of 28 games with 20+ points in a season. Over the last four games, Warren has scored 135 points on 48-for-84 shooting. After pouring in a career-high 41 points on 16-for-22 shooting in NC State's win at Pittsburgh on March 3, he topped that with 42 points in a win over Boston College on March 9. Warren, who has reached double figures in 34 of his last 36 games, is also first in the ACC with a .527 field goal percentage (minimum 5 FG made per game). He is on pace to become just the third player in ACC history to lead the conference in both scoring and field goal percentage (Horace Grant, Tim Duncan). Warren is also among the ACC's leaders in rebounds (7th), offensive rebounds (1st), minutes played (8th) and steals (4th).
4. UPDATING THE RESUMÉ
After beating Miami and Syracuse in the ACC Men's Basketball Championship, NC State has improved its record to 21-12 with a trio of wins over the RPI's top 50. Friday's 66-63 win over Syracuse is undoubtedly NCSU's signature win. The Wolfpack, which won six true road games this season and has a top-40 strength of schedule, owns road wins at Tennessee and Pittsburgh. In Mark Gottfried's first season in Raleigh, NCSU was 22-12 when it earned a berth into the 2012 NCAA Tournament and made a run to the Sweet 16.