Purvis Cleared For Competition
Sept. 17, 2012
RALEIGH, N.C. - NC State freshman basketball player Rodney Purvis has been granted permission to compete immediately for the Wolfpack in a decision handed down by the NCAA Committee on Initial Eligibility Waivers on Monday.
The committee, comprised of campus administrators from across the nation, reviewed an appeal submitted by NC State on Purvis' behalf to determine his competition status. The committee had previously determined that Purvis could attend classes with athletics aid and practice with the Wolfpack during the upcoming season.
"I'm really happy for Rodney," said head coach Mark Gottfried. "It's been a difficult situation and he's handled the entire matter with class. Now he can move forward. I'd also like to thank the NCAA for its thoughtful consideration on this decision."
Purvis echoed his coach's sentiment.
"I'm really excited about the decision that the NCAA came to today," said Purvis. "I appreciate the hard work of everybody involved and I'm looking forward to focusing on school and basketball."
NC State opens the season on Nov. 3 with an exhibition game at PNC Arena against Belmont Abbey.