Core group will represent each position on field
In the first installment of this new series, Jack delves into the life of RB Matt Dayes.
As a Sophomore (2014):
• One of just three players nationallly with more than 300 yards rushing, receiving and by return. He is the only player to reach those marks and also boast five or more touchdowns rushing and receiving.
• Versatile player who led the team in all-purpose yardage with 1,278 yards. He ranked eighth in the ACC and 98th nationally in that category.
• Ranked second on the team in receiving with 32 catches and in rushing with 473 yards. He also led the squad in kick returns with 384 yards.
• Team leader with 13 touchdowns, he ranked third in the ACC in TD scoring.
• Earned the team’s Torry Holt Award for most valuable offensive player.
• Scored the game-winning touchdown (a 35-yard reception) in the season opener vs. Georgia Southern.
As a Freshman (2013):
• Team’s third-leading rusher with a 4.0 yard per carry average.
• Showed his speed and agiliity on a 61-yard catch and run at Boston College to set up a Pack touchdown.
• Scored three touchdowns in the opener - most for a Pack running back since 2007 and second-highest tally ever by a true freshman.
In High School:
• Helped lead his team to a 12-3 record and a berth in the Florida 8A championship game as a senior, he tallied 22 carries for 174 yards and five touchdowns in that game.
• Honors: All-state and all-county performer for coach Mark Guandolo. Named Broward County Player of the Year.
• Senior Stats: 237 rushes for 1,864 yards and 31 touchdowns, he rushed for over 150 yards in every game. Junior Stats: Rushed for 484 yards and five touchdowns as a junior.
• Rankings: No. 27 running back nationally by rivals.com.