Aug. 6, 2014
RALEIGH, N.C. - The Pack had full contact for the first time on Wednesday, putting on full pads for the first time during camp. Monday and Tuesday the team was in `Thud' rather than full contact.
- The team had a longer break after practice today, as some players were moving into their apartments. Others were able to use the extra time to get some sleep.
- In addition to full pads, today's practice was the warmest so far, so continuous hydration was a big point of emphasis. The Wolfpack has three new members of its Sports Medicine Staff: Head Trainer for Football Justin Smith and assistants Alyse King and Andrew Wood. Tetsuo Yamanaka has returned for his second campaign as an assistant athletic trainer for football.
- The first two-a-day practice will be on Thursday, with the first practice beginning at 7:45 a.m.
- Quote of the Day: "We have a saying around here: Every man a brick, together a wall." Dave Doeren
- Coach Doeren commented on awarding scholarships recently to walk-ons Garrett Leatham (QB) and Devin O'Connor (TE). Last season, Leatham was not in the original 105 when the team reported.
"The greatest moment is when you get to change somebody's life. When you have somebody like Garrett and Devin who have fought to stay in school, taken out student loans and had a job on the side, it's really great. These guys have over a 3.0 GPA, have each been here over three years. It's a proud moment as a coach and the team really celebrated it. It's a great moment for the team and helps us build our walk-on program too.
Doeren Post-Practice Comments:
On first day in full pads:
"First day in full pads, although we've had shoulder pads on for two days. It was our best practice. From start to finish there was energy, there was tempo, there was competition. There was really good focus and body language at the end and it was fun to be a part of that."
On status of RB Shadrach Thornton:
"Shad is back. He's met all the requirements that we set out for him during his suspension and he's back full status with the football team. He has served a suspension for months and had to do a lot of things to come back.
"He's had a lot of moments individually throughout his career, but now he has to do it every day and be a consistent performer.
On first five days of practice:
"The first five days have been great. Having a starting quarterback entering camp helps because you have continuity. Last year we were having cadence and voice inflection issues because there were different quarterbacks. It's just totally different."
On the running back trio of Tony Creecy, Shadrach Thornton and Matt Dayes:
"Tony is the senior and is a great leader for us. Skill-set wise they're all a little different so we want to use all three of them. Because of Tony's leadership he would be in the lead right now."