Jan. 15, 2011
RALEIGH, N.C. -
No. 57 NC State got the 2011 season off on the right note, blanking Davidson 7-0 in its season opener on Saturday at the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center. The Wolfpack took care of business in doubles to get started before sweeping all six singles spots.
"I told the team to give Davidson credit," said head coach Jon Choboy. "They had some big serves and played well in certain spots.
"They gave us a real good challenge. Jaime [Pulgar] got a tough draw and played a real tough opponent. He got behind early, stayed with it and found a way to come out on top. It's a nice way for us to start the season, and a good win for Jaime."
The Pack grabbed the opening doubles tally to take an immediate 1-0 advantage, winning at two of three positions. Jaime Pulgar and Dave Thomson cruised past Ethan Kallick and Walker Lyons, 8-2, with relative ease at No. 2, while Dominic Hodgson and Julian Sullivan downed Calum Gee and Joe Schafer, 8-5, at No. 1. Akash Gujarati and Rob Lowe fell to Chris Mark and Kevin Moore, 9-7, at No. 3.
No. 106 Thomson gave the Pack its first singles point, quickly downing Arie Hefter, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 3. Hodgson, ranked No. 82 nationally, followed with a 6-2, 6-4, win at No. 2 over Mark.
Rafael Paez clinched the Pack's first win of the year at No. 4, topping Lyons, 6-3, 0-6, 7-6 (0). No. 61 Pulgar then stormed back to top Schafer at No. 1 after dropping the opening frame, 6-7 (5), 6-4, 6-4.
Sullivan, who did not compete last season, grabbed his first match in well over a year by taking down Gee in a first-set tiebreaker and steamrolling in the second, 7-6 (2), 6-1. Ivan Sanchez Gomez completed the sweep with a quick 7-5, 6-1, decision at No. 6.
NC State will return to the courts in a few hours at the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center to host UNC Wilmington at 6 p.m. tonight.
No. 57 NC State (1-0) vs. Davidson (0-1), 7-0
1. Dominic Hodgson / Julian Sullivan (NCSU) d. Calum Gee / Joe Schafer (Dav), 8-5
2. Jaime Pulgar / Dave Thomson (NCSU) d. Ethan Kallick / Walker Lyons (Dav), 8-2
3. Chris Mark / Kevin Moore (Dav) d. Akash Gujarti / Rob Lowe (NCSU), 9-7
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. No. 61 Jaime Pulgar (NCSU) vs. Joe Schafer (Dav), 6-7 (5), 6-4, 6-4
2. No. 82 Dominic Hodgson (NCSU) vs. Chris Mark (Dav), 6-2, 6-4
3. No. 106 Dave Thomson (NCSU) vs. Arie Hefter (Dav), 6-3, 6-2
4. Rafael Paez (NCSU) vs. Walker Lyons (Dav), 6-3, 0-6, 7-6 (0)
5. Julian Sullivan (NCSU) vs. Calum Gee (Dav), 7-6 (2), 6-1
6. Ivan Sanchez Gomez (NCSU) vs. Kevin Moore (Dav), 7-5, 6-1
Order of finish: 3, 2, 4, 1, 5, 6