Feb. 11, 2011
RALEIGH, N.C. -
No. 58 NC State took the first four singles matches off of the court and later added a fifth to top No. 70 Northwestern, 5-2, at the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center on Friday, Feb. 11. The win moves the Wolfpack to 5-3 on the year, while the Wildcats fall to 4-2.
After a slow start that saw the Pack drop all three doubles bouts, the Pack came out refreshed and fired up for singles action, quickly taking an opening-set lead in three of the first four bouts. No. 82 Dominic Hodgson tied the team score at 1-all with a 6-1, 6-2 dispatching of Joshua Graves, while No. 106 Dave Thomson put the Pack in the driver’s seat for good with a 6-0, 6-4 steamrolling of Spencer Wolf.
Julian Sullivan made it a 3-2 affair after coming from behind to down Andrew McCarthy, 5-7, 6-3, 6-4, while Rafael Paez clinched the team decision in a three-set win over Tobias Reitz, 6-4, 5-7, 6-1.
Ivan Sanchez Gomez later came from behind to grind out a 4-6, 7-5, 10-4 victory over Raleigh Smith.
NC State will return to action on Sunday, Feb. 13, hosting South Carolina at noon at the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center.
No. 58 NC State (5-3) vs. No. 70 Northwestern (4-2), 5-2
1. Joshua Graves / Spencer Wolf (NU) d. Dominic Hodgson / Julian Sullivan (NCSU), 8-6
2. Andrew McCarthy / Tobias Reitz (NU) d. Will Rollinson / Dave Thomson (NCSU), 8-3
3. Chris Jackman / Raleigh Smith (NU) d. Rob Lowe / Ivan Sanchez Gomez (NCSU), 8-7
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. No. 82 Dominic Hodgson (NCSU) d. Joshua Graves (NU), 6-1, 6-2
2. No. 106 Dave Thomson (NCSU) d. Spencer Wolf (NU), 6-0, 6-4
3. Julian Sullivan (NCSU) d. Andrew McCarthy (NU), 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
4. Rafael Paez (NCSU) d. Tobias Reitz (NU), 6-4, 5-7, 6-1
5. Ivan Sanchez Gomez (NCSU) d. Raleigh Smith (NU), 4-6, 7-5, 10-4
6. Chris Jackman (NU) d. Rob Lowe (NCSU), 6-0, 6-1