March 11, 2011
CHARLESTON, S.C. -
No. 55 NC State men’s tennis picked up a solid road win in its final non-conference tilt before opening ACC play with a 6-1 win at College of Charleston on Friday, March 11. The Wolfpack moves to 8-4 on the year with the decision, while the Cougars slide even at 4-4.
The Pack grabbed wins at the first two combo spots in tiebreakers, with Dominic Hodgson and Rob Lowe topping Lukas Koncilia and Kyle Parker, 9-8 (5), while Ivan Sanchez Gomez and Julian Sullivan bested Thomas Delme and Stephan Hardy, 9-8 (3). Twins Dave Thomson and Matt Thomson beat Mickael Boyer and Mickael Trintignac, 8-4.
The victory marks the collegiate debut for Matt Thomson, who redshirted last season.
In singles, Hodgson cruised past Koncilia, 6-2, 6-0, and Sean Weber dropped just one game to John Harden, 6-1, 6-0. Sullivan beat Delme, 6-4, 6-3, while Rafael Paez came from behind to top Parker, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. Sanchez Gomez dropped his first set to Boyer, but ultimately won, 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7).
“It was a windy and sloppy day outside, so it really came down more to competing than it did trying to hit shots,” said head coach Jon Choboy. “We got a nice win on the road, and it was great to see Matt [Thomson] out there competing and playing well for us.”
The Pack will return home to open ACC play next Friday, March 18, against North Carolina at 3 p.m.
No. 55 NC State (8-4) d. College of Charleston (4-4), 6-1
1. Dominic Hodgson / Rob Lowe (NCSU) d. Lukas Koncilia / Kyle Parker (CofC), 9-8 (5)
2. Ivan Sanchez Gomez / Julian Sullivan (NCSU) d. Thomas Delme / Stephen Hardy (CofC), 9-8 (3)
3. Dave Thomson / Matt Thomson (NCSU) d. Mickael Boyer / Mickael Trintignac (CofC), 8-4
1. Dominic Hodgson (NCSU) d. Lukas Koncilia (CofC), 6-2, 6-0
2. Mickael Trintignac (CofC) d. Dave Thomson (NCSU), 7-5, 7-5
3. Julian Sullivan (NCSU) d. Thomas Delme (CofC), 6-4, 6-3
4. Rafael Paez (NCSU) d. Kyle Parker (CofC), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Ivan Sanchez Gomez (NCSU) d. Mickael Boyer (CofC), 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Sean Weber (NCSU) d. John Harden (CofC), 6-1, 6-0