CARY, N.C. - The NC State men's tennis team used an early lead after securing the doubles point to propel the Pack past Georgia Tech in the first round of the ACC tournament on Thursday, April 16 in Cary, N.C. The No. 54 Wolfpack won three singles matches in straight sets to grab the 4-1 win over the No. 43 Yellow Jackets and advance to the second round in the tournament. The Pack will face No. 25 Miami on Friday at 12 p.m. at the Cary Tennis Park. NC State improves to 10-14 with the win, and Georgia Tech falls to 10-11.
Senior Jay Weinacker and freshman Jaime Pulgar defeated Kevin King and Doug Kenny, 8-6, at No. 2 doubles. Senior Christian Welte and redshirt freshman Julian Sullivan, who are ranked 74th in the nation, earned the early lead for the Pack with a 9-7 victory at No. 1 doubles over 44th-ranked pair of Guillermo Gomez and Ryan Smith.
Sophomore David Chermak gave the Pack a 2-0 lead after beating Austin Roebuck, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 6 singles, and Sullivan took down Smith, 7-6, 6-3, at No. 5 singles.
Georgia Tech's lone point came when 11th-ranked Gomez defeated 37th-ranked Weinacker, 6-2, 6-3, at the top singles spot.
Pulgar secured the first-round win for NC State after beating King, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 4.
For full tournament coverage, go to the 2009 ACC Men's & Women's Tennis Championships Central page.
No. 54 NC State d. No. 43 Georgia Tech, 4-1
1. No. 74 Welte/Sullivan (NCS) def. No. 44 Gomez/Smith (GT) 9-7
2. Weinacker/Pulgar (NCS) def. King/Kenny (GT) 8-6
3. Potvin Roebuck (GT) vs. Lowe/Chermak (NCS), DNF
Order of finish: 2,1
1. No. 11 Guillermo Gomez (GT) def. No. 37 Jay Weinacker (NCS) 6-2, 6-3
2. Migual Muguruza (GT) vs. Christian Welte (NCS), DNF
3. Eliot Potvin (GT) vs. Derek Stephens (NCS), DNF
4. Jaime Pulgar (NCS) def. Kevin King (GT) 6-2, 6-2
5. Julian Sullivan (NCS) def. Ryan Smith (GT) 7-6, 6-3
6. David Chermak (NCS) def. Austin Roebuck (GT) 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 6,5,1,4*
*Clinches the win