Noblitt, Duos Advance at Polo Tournament
Tulsa, Okla. – William Noblitt and both NC State doubles pairs continued to advance at the 2006 Polo Ralph Lauren All-American Championships in Tulsa, Okla., on Tuesday, Oct. 3. Noblitt won his singles decision, as well as two combo matches with partner Nick Cavaday. James McGee and Jay Weinacker won two doubles matches of their own together, but both fell in solo play.
Cavaday and Noblitt blew past Tennessee’s Davey Sandgren and Kiril Tcherveniachki, 8-3, to start doubles. In the second round, they continued to move along with a win, 8-5, over Nic Edlefsen and D.J. Gaetz of Minnesota. McGee and Weinacker, who received a bye in the first round, trumped Fresno State’s Jakub Cech and Rudolf Siwy in a walkover.
In singles work, Noblitt took down Kaes Van’t Hof of Southern California in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1. Weinacker fell to Drake’s Sergi Villa, 6-3, 6-4, and McGee lost to Dimitar Kutrovsky of Texas, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2, after winning the front frame. Kutrovsky is currently ranked No. 117 nationally in the Fila Collegiate Tennis Rankings preseason poll.
Play will continue tomorrow, Wednesday, Oct. 4, in Tulsa.
2006 Polo Ralph Lauren All-American Championships
1. Cavaday/Noblitt d. D. Sandgren/K. Tcherveniachki (Tenn.), 8-3
2. McGee/Weinacker d. J. Cech/R. Siwy (Fresno St.), walkover
3. Cavaday/Noblitt d. N. Edlefsen/D. Gaetz (Minn.), 8-5
1. S. Villa (Drake) d. Weinacker, 6-3, 6-4
2. Noblitt, d. K. Van’t Hof (SoCal), 6-3, 6-1
3. No. 117 D. Kutrovsky (Texas) d. McGee, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2