Jan. 9, 2013
Game #16: NC State (8-7, 0-3 ACC) vs. No. 11/20 North Carolina (15-1, 3-0 ACC)
Thursday, Jan. 10, 2013 • 7 p.m. ET
Raleigh, N.C. • Reynolds Coliseum
TV: ACCDN on YouTube
TV Crew: Tom Werme and Christy Winters Scott
Radio: 88.1 FM WKNC
Radio Crew: Patrick Kinas and Paige Woodard
GoPack All-Access: Listen
Gametracker | @PackWomensBball | Game Notes: NCSU | UNC
RALEIGH, N.C. - NC State hosts North Carolina on Thursday at 7 p.m., inside Reynolds Coliseum in the 95th meeting between the two local rivals on the ACC Digital Network on YouTube.
State is looking for its first ACC win of the season, while the Tar Heels are off to a 3-0 start in the league, and tied atop the standings with Duke and Miami. The Pack will have played all three of those teams in its first four league contests.
The Wolfpack are 25-12 all-time against UNC at home, but have dropped four of the last six in recent years on Kay Yow Court.
Junior Kody Burke continues to be the most consistent player this season for the red and white. Her 12-point, 11-rebound performance last time out accounted for her fourth double-double of the season, while also scoring in double figures for the sixth-straight game. Burke is also the only player in the ACC to rank inside the top-10 in scoring, rebounding and blocks per game.
Marissa Kastanek made the only two attempts from beyond the three-point arc at Wake on Sunday, and is now just two away from becoming only the 21st player in ACC history with 200 career three's. The senior from Lincoln, Neb., has done well in six career games against North Carolina, averaging 15.3 points per game. That includes a career-high 30 points that came during the 2010-11 campaign in Chapel Hill.
The Tar Heels swept the season series in 2011-12, taking a 60-50 win in Raleigh, and a 68-59 win in Chapel Hill. They rank in the top 10 in the nation in steals, field-goal percentage defense and blocks. Freshman Xylina McDaniel has been named ACC Rookie of the Week a league-leading four times.
Head coach Sylvia Hatchell is six wins shy of 900 for her career. Only Pat Summitt and Jody Conradt have reached that milestone.
NC State hits the road for the next two games, beginning with Virginia on Sunday at 2 p.m. The following Thursday the Pack faces Maryland at 8:30 p.m., on the Regional Sports Network and ESPN3.
Wolfpack Fastbreak Points...
• NC State is 25-12 all-time at home against North Carolina; 2-4 in the last 6 meetings
• State has played in an ACC-leading four games decided by 5 points or less (2-2 record)
• State is 2nd in ACC with 76 3PT FGs this season; 4th in 3FG% (33.2)
• Six players average at least 5.0 points per game; all 6 have played in all 15 games
• The Pack has shot 50.0% or better in five games this season. Only happened once in 2011-12
• Kody Burke is only player in ACC in top-10 in scoring (6th), rebounds (9th) and blocks (3rd)
• Marissa Kastanek has averaged 15.3 points in 6 career games vs. UNC (CH 30 pts in 2010-11)
• Burke ranks T16 in ACC history with a school record 1.7 blocks per game career avg.
• Burke has made 96 FGs this season; 2nd only to Tianna Hawkins (107) in the ACC
• Marissa Kastanek ranks 22nd in ACC history with 198 career three-point FGs
• Marissa Kastanek is one of 30 players nominated for Senior CLASS Award
• The 102 points scored against Longwood is the most in the ACC this season
• State was the only D1 WBB team to have two 2012 Academic All-Americans
The Last Meeting
February 19, 2012
Chapel Hill, N.C.