Feb. 23, 2013
Game #28: NC State (13-14, 5-10 ACC) at North Carolina (24-4, 12-3 ACC)
Sunday, Feb. 24, 2013 • 1:30 p.m. ET
Chapel Hill, N.C. • Carmichael Arena (6,822)
TV Crew: Roy Philpot and LaChina Robinson
Radio: 88.1 FM WKNC
Radio Crew: Patrick Kinas and Paige Woodard
GoPack All-Acces: Listen
Live Stats | @PackWomensBball | Game Notes: NCSU
A busy weekend for NC State in Chapel Hill concludes with the women's basketball team visiting No. 16/17 North Carolina on Sunday at 1:30 p.m., on ESPNU.
The Wolfpack looks to bounce back from consecutive losses for the first time in over a month by picking up its first win in Chapel Hill since 2010. Sunday is the 96th meeting between these two Tobacco Road rivals, NC State leads 51-44 in the series.
Balanced scoring has been the key to NC State compiling a 3-2 record in its last five games. Six players are contributing between 8.4 and 11.8 points per game. That includes red-shirt sophomore Len'Nique Brown, who is averaging 8.4 points and 6.6 assists since taking over the starting point guard duties five games ago.
Marissa Kastanek and Kody Burke were both selected Academic All-Americans on Thursday, the second-straight year that NC State is the only Division I women's basketball program with multiple student-athletes selected. Kastanek becomes the second first team honoree in program history, while Burke landed on the third team for the second time.
North Carolina has a quick turnaround to prepare for Sunday after earning a 72-50 win at Virginia Tech on Friday night in Blacksburg, Va. Tierra Ruffin-Pratt scored 17 points, while Xylina McDaniel added 13 points. The Tar Heels outscored the Hokies 33-11 in the first 15 minutes of the game and never led by less than 14 the rest of the way.
NC State will honor senior Marissa Kastanek in pre-game ceremonies before Thursday's home finale with Virginia at 7 p.m.
Wolfpack Fastbreak Points...
• State is the only D1 WBB team to have two Academic All-Americans in both 2012 & 2013
- Marissa Kastanek (1st team['13], 2nd team['12]) and Kody Burke (third team['12 & '13])
• The Wolfpack is 16-22 all-time at North Carolina
• The Pack is shooting 39.2% (49-of-125) from the 3-point line over the last six games
• State's 42.1 FG% is best showing since 2005-06; 35.9 3FG% is best figure since 1995-96
• State is 2nd in ACC with 158 3PT FGs and 3rd in 3FG% (35.9) this season
• MGC's 30 points vs. GT is most by an NCSU player since Amber White's 33 at Wake (2/27/11)
- Her 9 3FGs vs. GT tied the ACC/NCSU record set on 2 occasions by Jennifer Howard
• Kody Burke is the 29th NCSU player with 1,000 career points
• Marissa Kastanek is 10th in program history with 1,573 career points
• Kastanek is 15th in ACC history with 228 career three-point FGs
-2nd most among active ACC players behind BC's Kerri Shields (236)
• The 102 points scored against Longwood is the most in the ACC this season
The Last Meeting
January 10, 2013
Wolfpack Falls to No. 11 North Carolina, 70-66
Senior guard Marissa Kastanek led all scorers with 20 points, including a 4-of-8 performance from three-point land, and pulled down six rebounds. Junior forward Kody Burke contributed 17 points and eight boards