March 23, 2013
NC State (17-16) at James Madison (23-10)
Sunday, Mar. 24, 2013 • 2 p.m. EST
Harrisonburg, Va. • JMU Convocation Center
Radio: 88.1 FM WKNC
Radio Crew: Patrick Kinas and Paige Woodard
GoPack All-Access: Audio | Video (JMUSports.com)
Live Stats | @PackWomensBball | Game Notes: NCSU | JMU
***Special Note: the WNIT announces game times, days and locations on a round-by-round basis. All information regarding NC State’s participation in subsequent games will be announced on GoPack.com as soon as it is confirmed by the WNIT.
The NC State women's basketball team has advanced to the second round of the Women's NIT, and will play a road game at James Madison on Sunday at 2 p.m., at JMU Convocation Center.
JMU will provide a free video broadcast (Video link above) of the game. Fans interested in watching will have to sign up through JMUSports.com, but will not be charged to watch the game.
The Wolfpack won its fourth game in the last five outings on Thursday with a 60-55 victory over Richmond in the opening round of the WNIT at Reynolds Coliseum. Markeisha Gatling continued her stellar play of late with a team-leading 14 points and nine rebounds. Kody Burke contributed 12 points and nine boards, while Len'Nique Brown had eight points and eight rebounds.
This will be the first meeting between the two schools since all the way back in 1977 when the Wolfpack earned a neutral site victory over the Dukes in Charlottesville, Va.
James Madison earned a 77-64 win over North Carolina A&T on Thursday on its home court. The Dukes outscored the Aggies by a 30-8 margin over the final 12:29 to pull away for the victory.
JMU improved to 14-0 at home in NCAA and WNIT games after Kirby Burkholder scored a team-best 22 points and 14 rebounds. Tarik Hislop added 17 points and seven assists.
Sunday's winner will take on the winner of the Boston University-Fordham tilt that will tip off also at 2 p.m., on Sunday.
For more information, visit the WNIT web site at www.womensnit.com.
Wolfpack Fastbreak Points...
• NC State makes its 4th trip to the Postseason WNIT (1976, 2008, 2012, 2013)
• This is the 31st postseason appearance in school history in 39 seasons
• Kellie Harper is 3-3 in four WNIT appearances (2007 & 2008 at WCU; 2012 & 2013 at NCSU)
• State is the only D1 WBB team to have two Academic All-Americans in 2012 & 2013
- Marissa Kastanek (1st team['13], 2nd team['12]) and Kody Burke (third team['12 & '13])
• Kastanek named 1st team All-ACC & Kay Yow Scholar-Athlete of the Year
• State's 42.1 FG% is best showing since 2005-06; 35.5 3FG% is best figure since 1995-96
- The 35.5 percent figure from three-point range ranks 15th nationally
• State is 2nd in ACC with 191 3PT FGs and 3FG% (35.5) this season
• MGC's 9 3FGs vs. GT tied the ACC/NCSU record set on 2 occasions by Jennifer Howard
• Marissa Kastanek is 8th in program history with 1,646 career points
• Kastanek is 11th in ACC history with 239 career three-point FGs
-2nd most among active ACC players behind BC's Kerri Shields (252)