Game 6: NC State (4-1) at Northwestern (4-1)
Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2011 • 8 p.m. ET • Big Ten Digital Network
Evanston, Ill. • Welsh-Ryan Arena (8,117)
GoPack All-Access: Audio
NUSports.com: Video (link will appear on game day)
GameTracker | @PackWomensBball | Game Notes
A pair of 4-1 ball clubs square off in the fifth installment of the Big Ten/ACC Women's Basketball Challenge on Wednesday when NC State visits Northwestern for an 8 p.m., ET tip in Evanston, Ill.
Both teams are coming off their first loss of the 2011-12 season on Sunday afternoon. The Pack fell 74-67 at Creighton, while the Wildcats fell 88-72 to No. 20 DePaul.
NC State is 2-2 all-time in the competition between the two conferences with both victories coming against Illinois. Meanwhile, Northwestern is 0-4 against the ACC in the event.
The Wolfpack is 15-13 all-time against the current 12 members of the Big Ten. Last season the club defeated the Fightin Illini, but fell to Minnesota at the Nugget Classic in Reno, Nev.
Wednesday's game marks the first for State in the Chicagoland area since playing the 2006 NCAA Tournament at DePaul University.
Five players are averaging double figures in scoring this season for the Wolfpack. Senior Bonae Holston paces the club in scoring (12.8) and rebounding (8.8). Junior guard Marissa Kastanek scored a game-high 14 points last time out against Creighton and is now shooting 60.0 percent from the field this season, the fourth-best mark in the ACC.
Freshman Krystal Barrett's 11.8 points per game is the third best among all freshman in the ACC. Sophomore Kody Burke has recorded a double-double in both road games this season, and Myisha Goodwin-Coleman leads the club and ranks ninth in the league by converting 42.1 percent of her shots from beyond the arc.
Northwestern, who beat a nationally-ranked LSU team on Nov. 22, is led by a quartet of players that all average between 11.8 and 14.0 points, and between 6.4 and 6.6 rebounds per game.
NC State returns home to Reynolds Coliseum this weekend to host South Carolina on Sunday at 2 p.m. That will be the first of four-straight home games before Christmas.
Wolfpack Fastbreak Points...
• NC State is 2-2 all-time in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge; Both wins vs. Illinois
• State and NU last squared off in the 1982 NCAA Tournament; game played in Raleigh
• Wolfpack ranks 20th nationally in both blocks (6.2) and steals (13.6) per game
• State has at least 10 steals in all five games this season; had a season-best 19 at Creighton
• NC State leads the ACC with 51.2 rebounds per game; 2nd in rebound margin (+14.8)
• NC State has more made free throws (75) than its opponents have attempted (68)
• State has scored 80+ points in nine of its last 13 games dating back to 2010-11 season
• State is receiving 28.2 points per game from its bench through three games
• Bonae Holstson is 2nd among active players in the ACC with 19 career double-doubles
• Kiana Evans set a program record by a freshman with 14 boards in season opener vs. SEMO
• Bonae Holston NCSU ranks: 20th in points (1,258) and 10th in rebounds (679)
• Junior Marissa Kastanek has made 125 career three-pointers (7th most at NCSU)