Dec. 7, 2012
Game #10: NC State (5-4) vs. Elon (3-3)
Sunday, Dec. 9 • 2 p.m. ET
Raleigh, N.C. • Reynolds Coliseum
Radio: 88.1 FM WKNC
Radio Crew: Patrick Kinas and Paige Woodard
GoPack All-Access: Listen | Watch
GameTracker | @PackWomensBball | Game Notes
RALEIGH, N.C. - NC State gets back to action this Sunday against Elon at 2 p.m., from Reynolds Coliseum. GoPack.com All-Access will provide a live video broadcast of the game.
Sunday will mark the 10th game already for the Wolfpack, exactly one-third of the way through the regular season. NC State is looking to rebound after dropping its last three games, including an 81-73 setback at LSU last Sunday. The team has been off for a week as exams began on Wednesday.
The Wolfpack, 4-0 all-time against Elon, will take on the Phoenix for the first time since the 2008-09 season. Head coach Kellie Harper posted a 9-3 record against Elon during her time at Western Carolina. Elon was also the first collegiate head coaching stop for Hall of Fame head mentor Kay Yow, who directed the program for four seasons from 1972-1975, before coming to Raleigh for the next 34 seasons.
Also, former Wolfpacker Cristy McKinney is an assistant coach for the Phoenix. She is in her second season after five seasons as the head coach at Clemson (2005-10), and 12 years at Rice. She is a 1979 NC State graduate that played under Yow from 1976-79, scoring 1,359 points (17th in school history) and grabbing 613 rebounds.
Coincidentally, NC State senior guard Marissa Kastanek will enter Sunday 13 points behind McKinney on the NC State career scoring list. She passed guard Shayla Fields (2006-09) last time out at LSU with 15 points.
NC State's shooting numbers have improved at a staggering rate from last season. After a sub-par effort in 2011-12 that saw the Wolfpack shoot just 38.4-percent from the field, and 65.5-percent from the free throw line, NC State ranks fourth in the ACC with a 45.6-percent field goal percentage and 70.4% from the charity stripe.
NC State will finish up exams next week, and then host Presbyterian on Saturday at Reynolds. Tip off is scheduled for 2 p.m., on GoPack All-Access.
Wolfpack Fastbreak Points...
• NC State is 4-0 all-time vs. Elon; 54-2 against current members of Southern Conference
• The Pack has shot 50.0% or better in three games this season. Only happened once in 2011-12
• State is 2nd in ACC with 50 three-point field goals made this season
• Kody Burke ACC ranks: 5th in scoring (15.7), 5th in blocks (1.9) & 8th in rebounding (8.2)
- Only player in ACC to rank in top-10 in all three categories
• Marissa Kastanek is two 3-pointers from entering top-25 in ACC history for most made 3's
• M. Goodwin-Coleman is averaging team highs in points (11.5) and assists (4.5) in last 2 games
• Kastanek has moved into 18th on NCSU career scoring list with 1,346 career points
• Marissa Kastanek is one of 30 players nominated for Senior CLASS Award
• NC State has not lost back-to-back non-conference home games since 2002
• State was the only D1 WBB team to have two 2012 Academic All-Americans
- Marissa Kastanek (second team) and Kody Burke (third team)