March 15, 2012
RALEIGH, N.C. - NC State knocked off No. 65 William and Mary, 5-2, at the J.W. Isenhower Tennis Center on Thursday evening. The Pack moves to 5-7 (1-0 ACC) on the year, while the Tribe falls to 4-10 with the loss.
The Pack started the match off strong by sweeping the doubles contests. Joelle Kissell and Ashley Miller teamed up to defeat Jeltje Loomans and Hope Johnson, 8-3, in the first position, and Tatiana Illova and Nicole Martinez followed that up by topping Maria Belaya and Anik Cepeda, 8-4. Elisha Hande and Chloe Smith completed the sweep, beating Sydney Smith and Tori Ford, 8-6.
In singles action, William and Mary won the first point, with Cepeda topping Miller on court four. Kissell and Martinez both won their contests to put NC State up, 3-1. Kissell picked up her third ranked win on the season, defeating No. 109 Belaya, 6-2, 7-5, at the No. 1 singles spot. Martinez topped Smith in the sixth position, 6-1, 6-3.
Illova clinched the win for the Pack, defeating Loomans, 6-4, 6-1, on court two.
NC State will return to action on Saturday, March 17, against No. 5 Duke. The match will being at noon in Durham, N.C.
1. Kissell/Miller (NCSU) def. Loomans/Johnson (WM), 8-3
2. Illova/Martinez (NCSU) def. Belaya/Cepada (WM), 8-4
3. Hande/Smith (NCSU) def. Smith/Ford (WM), 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. No. 60 Joelle Kissell (NCSU) def. No. 109 Maria Belaya (WM), 6-2, 7-5
2. Tatiana Illova (NCSU) def. Jeltje Loomans (WM), 6-4, 6-1
3. Chloe Smith (NCSU) def. Hope Johnson (WM), 6-3, 4-6, 10-7
4. Anik Cepada (WM) def. Ashley Miller (NCSU), 6-0, 6-3
5. Katie Kargl (WM) def. Christy Sipes (NCSU), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
6. Nicole Martinez (NCSU) def. Sydney Smith (WM), 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 1, 6, 2, 3, 5