W. Tennis Falls to No. 37 DePaul 5-2
Raleigh, N.C. - The NC State women's tennis fell short to No. 37 DePaul 5-2 on Friday, Feb. 5.
DePaul took the first point of the day in doubles matches. Sandhya Nagaraj and Daria Petrovic got things started by beating Gia McKnight and Katarina Milinkovic, 8-3. Unfortunately it wasn't enough for the Wolfpack, as they lost the other two doubles matches. Berkeley Brock and Lenka Hojckova fell 8-6 to the No. 9 tandem in the country, Anna Redecsi and Selma Salkovic. Tana Illova and Chloe Smith were beaten by Kirsten Gambrell and Sandra Zmak, 8-4.
No. 45 Nagaraj continued her impressive play, defeating Anna Redecsi in straight sets 6-2, 6-3. Hojckova fought hard, but lost 6-4, 6-4, to Salkovic. After taking the first set Brock was defeated by Milinkovic, 1-6, 6-2, 6-3.
Petrovic fell to Zmak, 6-3, 6-0. Smith lost 6-2, 6-2 to Gambrell. After losing the first set, Illova came back to beat McKnight 3-6, 6-3, (10-8).
The Wolfpack move to 1-1 on the year.
The Pack will resume play on Sunday, Feb. 7 at 1:00 p.m. against Wisconsin. Fans are asked to park in the West Lot.
2. Daria Petrovic/Sandhya Nagaraj (NCSU) d. Gia McKnight/Katarina Milinkovic (DU) 8-3
3. Kirsten Gambrell/Sandra Zmak (DU) d. Chloe Smith/Tana Illova (NCSU) 8-4
Order of finish: 2,3,1
2. Selma Salkovic (DU) d. Lenka Hojckova (NCSU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Katarina Milinkovic (DU) d. Berkeley Brock (NCSU) 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Sandra Zmak (DU) d. Daria Petrovic (NCSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Tana Illova (NCSU) d. Gia McKnight (DU) 3-6, 6-3, (10-8)
6. Kirsten Gambrell (DU) d. Chloe Smith (NCSU) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 4,1,2,3*,6,5