No. 64 W. Tennis Falls to No. 33 USF, 5-2
Tampa, Fla. - The No. 64 NC State women's tennis fell to No. 33 South Florida, 5-2 on Friday, Feb. 19.
USF took the doubles point, winning two of the three matches. Berkeley Brock and Lenka Hojckova paired up to defeat Allyn Muerller and Ecaterina Vasenina, 8-2. Sandhya Nagaraj and Daria Petrovic lost to Irene Rehberger and Melissa Koning, 8-2. Ashley Miller teamed with Diana Mortlock, only to lose 8-4 to Janetter Bejlkova and Lauren Shumate.
In singles competition, both wins for the Wolfpack were come from behind fashion. No. 107 Nagaraj continued her stellar play with a 1-6, 6-2, 6-2 upset victory over No. 26 Rehberger. Tana Illova also tallied a win for the Pack, beating Natalia Guevara 2-6, 6-2, 6-2. Brock lost a hard fought match to Koning 7-5, 7-6.
Hojckova fell to Vasenina 6-3, 6-3. Petrovic had to retire after losing 6-0, 4-0 to Bejlkova. Chloe Smith was beaten by Jessica Zok, 6-4, 6-3.
The Wolfpack open up ACC play on Thursday, Feb. 25 at 4:00 p.m. at No. 6 Duke.
NC State women's tennis is now on twitter. Follow us at twitter.com/PackWTennis
Results: USF 5, NC State 2
2. Berkeley Brock/Lenka Hojckova (NCSU) d Allyn Muerller/Ecaterina Vasenina (USF), 8-2
3. Janette Bejlkova/Lauren Shumate (USF) d. Ashley Miller/Diana Mortlock (NCSU), 8-4
2. Melissa Koning (USF) d. Berkeley Brock (NCSU), 7-5, 7-6
3. Ecaterina Vasenina (USF) d. Lenka Hojckova (NCSU), 6-3, 6-3
4. Janette Bejlkova (USF) d. Daria Petrovic (NCSU), 6-0, 4-0 ret.
5. Tana Illova (NCSU) d. Natalia Guevara (USF), 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Jessica Zok (USF) d. Chloe Smith (NCSU), 6-4, 6-3