No. 64 Wolfpack Returns Home to Face Winthrop
March 5, 2014
RALEIGH, N.C. - The No. 64 ranked NC State women's tennis team will play its final non-conference matchup of the season as it welcomes the Winthrop Eagles to the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center on Thursday, March 6th for a 2:30 p.m. tilt.
The match will be the first of five straight home matches for the Wolfpack (6-3, 1-2 ACC) after a three-match road swing in which State faced three ranked teams, including two top 15 opponents.
Both NC State and Winthrop share one common opponent this season, the College of Charleston. Winthrop dropped a 5-2 decision at home to CofC on Feb. 9th, while the Pack defeated the Cougars 7-0 in Raleigh on Feb. 16th.
Last year, NC State defeated Winthrop 4-3 at home on Feb. 22. in a match that lasted a season-long six hours. The Pack holds a 7-2 advantage all-time versus the Eagles.
NC State Notes:
• NC State is a perfect 6-0 this year at home, with all six victories coming from inside the friendly confines of the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center. Dating back to last year, the Wolfpack has won 10 straight matches at the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center.
• Following today's match, 10 of State's next 11 opponents are nationally ranked by the ITA. The grueling schedule also includes the No. 1 and No. 3 teams in the nation.
• Wolfpack senior Joelle Kissell is seven singles victories away from setting the all-time NC State record for career singles wins with 60.
• Winthrop holds a 2-2 record on the year, with wins over Charlotte and East Tennessee State.
• The Eagles are coming off a loss in its last match, dropping a 4-3 decision to Furman on Saturday, March 1.