Wolfpack Set To Compete At Northwestern Invitational
Oct. 3, 2013
RALEIGH, N.C. - The NC State women's tennis team will travel to Evanston, Ill. this weekend to participate in the Northwestern Invitational, held Oct. 4-6. at the Combe Tennis Center. The Wolfpack will bring eight players to the eleven team event, its second tournament of the fall.
"For this tournament we will be working on our mindset to keep it simple, to work on our game, and see some nice improvement with our movement and targets," NC State head coach Hans Olsen said.
Tournament host Northwestern headlines the event checking in at No. 12 in the ITA rankings. The Pack will also square off against ACC opponent Virginia, who checks in at No. 15. Other teams competing in the event include Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Princeton, DePaul and UIC.
Play will begin at 8:30 a.m. on Friday. Due to the threat of inclement weather, two rounds of singles and one round of doubles will be played on Friday, with the rest of the tournament schedule to be played out over Saturday and Sunday.
Singles Matches on Friday:
- Orange Flight: Rachael James-Baker vs. Caryssa Peretz (Virginia)
- Red Flight: Sophie Nelson vs. Maria Faure (Virginia)
- Black Flight: Nicole Martinez vs. Manon Peri (Northwestern)
- White Flight: Liza Fieldsend vs. Aria Lambert (Minnesota)
- Green Flight: Elisha Hande vs. Abi Melrose (Oklahoma)
- Blue Flight: Christy Sipes vs. Kendall Heitzner (Minnesota) & Taylor Zaytoun vs. Kelsey Frechette (Minnesota)
Doubles Matches on Friday:
- Yellow Flight: Christy Sipes/Taylor Zaytoun vs. Manon Peri/Bellinda Niu (Northwestern), Elisha Hande/Nicole Martinez vs. Katherine Flanigan/Alanna Wolff (Princeton)
- Brown Flight: Sophie Nelson/ Natalia Janowicz (BYE), Rachael James-Baker/Liza Fieldsend vs. Kendall Heitzner/Yuliana Umanets (Minnesota)