May 7, 2014
RALEIGH, N.C. – The NFL draft will get underway on Thursday in New York City. NC State has a great history in the NFL draft. Here are some of the recent highlights:
• The Wolfpack has the second-highest total of NFL draft picks (9) in the ACC over the last two years. Only Florida State has more (15).
• The Pack’s nine draft picks over the last two seasons ties as the most in back-to-back years in school history (2006-2007 and 1991-1992).
• The Pack set a school record with six former NC State players taken in the 2012 NFL Draft. T.J. Graham and Russell Wilson were both taken in the third round, Terrell Manning was a fifth-round selection, and Audie Cole, Markus Kuhn and J.R. Sweezy were all picked in the seventh round of the draft.
• NC State has had at least one NFL Draft pick for 17 straight years, and 28 of the last 29 years overall.
• NC State currently has more players on an NFL roster (24) than any other school in the state of North Carolina.
• Those 24 players represent 10 NFC teams and 6 AFC teams.
• Five NFL teams have at least two former NC State players on their rosters: the Buffalo Bills, Minnesota Vikings and Seattle Seahawks all have three while the San Diego Chargers and Chicago Bears have two.
• Four former NC State players played in Super Bowl XLVIII in January, three of whom were on Seattle’s winning squad. Only one other school (Tennessee) had more former players on active rosters in the Super Bowl than the Wolfpack.
• Nine former Wolfpackers were on teams that made the playoffs last season.