Skip to Content

NC State Wolfpack

NC State Wolfpack
Online Shop
    Wolfpack Ties Virginia 3-3 in Double Overtime

    Sept. 20, 2013

    Box Score | Box Score Get Acrobat Reader

    CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - Despite a season-high scoring effort, NC State ended up with a bittersweet draw at Virginia in a thrilling 3-3 (2OT) contest on Friday night.

    "We played really well in the first half, and scored some goals on the road," said NC State head coach Kelly Findley. "But when you score three goals, you should get a result. We made a lot of progress mentally. It's a sign of progress that we're disappointed by one point on the road against a good team like Virginia.

    "If we continue to play with that kind of passion, intensity, and commitment, we'll get a lot of results this year."

    The Wolfpack (3-1-1, 1-1-1 ACC) took command early in the game with Nazmi Albadawi's first goal of the season, coming in the ninth minute. Albadawi worked his way into the box and collected a cross from Alex Martinez, depositing his shot in the right half of the net.

    After taking a 1-0 lead into halftime, Nick Surkamp scored in the 65th minute for what seemed like the match-clincher. Clement Simonin started that scoring strike with a free kick from long range. Surkamp won the ball at the top of the box in a scramble, and curled a shot inside the right post to make it 2-0.

    Only 10 minutes later, Virginia (2-3-1, 0-2-1) mounted a furious comeback to knot the score at 2-2. The Cavaliers broke through with Darius Madison's goal in the 75th minute on an assist from Jordan Allen. Then, in the 78th minute, a foul in the Wolfpack box set up Marcus Salandy-Defour's game-tying penalty kick.

    In the 87th minute, State regained the lead on a sequence started by Martinez drawing a foul after a run down the left sideline. Michael Bajza angled a free kick to the far post, which skipped through the Virginia defense before finding Simonin for the tap-in goal to make it 3-2.

    Virginia attacked relentlessly down the stretch, and found the equalizer with only six seconds remaining in regulation. A shot from 18 yards hit the right post and settled in front of the goal, where Matt Brown raced in to touch it home at the buzzer.

    The teams battled through two scoreless overtime periods, ending the thriller in a 3-3 tie.

    NC State returns to action on Tuesday, September 24 in Raleigh when the Wolfpack hosts Davidson at 7 p.m. Live stats will be available on Fans can also follow along with Twitter updates via @PackMensSoccer.  



    Recent News

    Wolfpack Unlimited Live Tuffy Page Shop