March 2, 2013
Game #30: NC State (14-15, 6-11 ACC) at Clemson (9-19, 5-12 ACC)
Sunday, March 3, 2013 • 2 p.m. ET
Clemson, S.C. • Littlejohn Coliseum (10,000)
Radio: 88.1 FM WKNC
Radio Crew: Patrick Kinas and Paige Woodard
GoPack All-Access: Listen | Watch (ClemsonTigers.com) $
Live Stats | @PackWomensBball | Game Notes: NCSU | Clemson
CLEMSON, S.C. - NC State closes out the regular season with a road game at Clemson on Sunday at 2 p.m., from Littlejohn Coliseum.
The Wolfpack will begin the day eighth in the ACC standings, but have an opportunity to move up to sixth depending on how the final day plays out for the 12 clubs in the league.
A win Sunday would give the Wolfpack a regular-season sweep of Clemson, after holding court at home with a 79-45 victory on Feb. 10 at Reynolds Coliseum. That evening five NC State players scored in double figures, including three off the bench - Myisha Goodwin-Coleman, Breezy Williams and Lakeesa Daniel. The Pack led 34-21 at intermission, before outscoring the Tigers by 21 points in the second half.
NC State has done a terrific job of defending the three-point line over the last three contests, limiting its opponents to shoot a combined 5.7 percent or two makes in 35 shot attempts. That includes a 1-for-18 performance by Virginia on Thursday in a Wolfpack victory. Last Sunday, North Carolina was 0-for-9 from downtown.
Markeisha Gatling scored a season-high 21 points in the 80-59 victory over the Cavaliers. The 6-5 center was 10-of-13 from the floor and had seven rebounds in 28 minutes. Kody Burke added 16 points, and Myisha Goodwin-Coleman and Marissa Kastanek each made four three-pointers for 14 points apiece.
Kastanek begins the last regular-season game of her career with 1,604 points, 17 shy of Tynesha Lewis for ninth in school history and 20 points from former teammate Bone Holston, who is eighth in the record books with 1,624 points.
The ACC Tournament begins Thursday and runs through Sunday in Greensboro, N.C., at the Greensboro Coliseum. Brackets will be released by the ACC office on Sunday evening.
Wolfpack Fastbreak Points...
• State is the only D1 WBB team to have two Academic All-Americans in 2012 & 2013
- Marissa Kastanek (1st team['13], 2nd team['12]) and Kody Burke (third team['12 & '13])
• The Wolfpack is 13-18 all-time at Clemson; 3-2 in last five games at Littlejohn
• State's 42.3 FG% is best showing since 2005-06; 36.1 3FG% is best figure since 1995-96
• State is 2nd in ACC with 171 3PT FGs and 3FG% (36.1) this season
• 23 assists vs. Virginia is a season high for the Wolfpack
• MGC's 30 points vs. GT is most by an NCSU player since Amber White's 33 at Wake (2/27/11)
- Her 9 3FGs vs. GT tied the ACC/NCSU record set on 2 occasions by Jennifer Howard
• Kody Burke is the 29th NCSU player with 1,000 career points
• Marissa Kastanek is 10th in program history with 1,604 career points
• Kastanek is 14th in ACC history with 235 career three-point FGs
-2nd most among active ACC players behind BC's Kerri Shields (242)
• The 102 points scored against Longwood is the most in the ACC this season
The Last Meeting
February 10, 2013
Women's Basketball Drops Clemson, 79-45
The NC State women's basketball team had five double-figure scorers and recorded its largest margin of victory in an ACC game in 12 years, en route to a 79-45 victory over Clemson Sunday afternoon at Reynolds Coliseum.